There are so many good reasons to support the Lymphatic Education & Research Network (LE&RN) on #GivingTuesday. Here are our top 10 reasons. Let us know why you give.
10. Advocacy. LE&RN reaches out to lawmakers at both the state and the federal levels to ensure that lymphedema and lymphatic diseases become national and local priorities.
9. Community. LE&RN has launched 5 state chapters this year, with the goal of having a chapter in every state. With LE&RN, you are no longer alone.
8. Walks to Fight Lymphedema & Lymphatic Diseases. In 2015, LE&RN hosted 3 Walks to Fight Lymphedema & Lymphatic Diseases. The Walk raise much-needed funding and also provide a way for our community to rally together and know that there is hope.
7. Inspiration for the next generation. To entice the best and brightest into our field, LE&RN awarded eleven travel awards in 2015 to promising young research investigators to attend the historic NIH Conference on lymphatics.
6. Access to care. Addressing the lack of lymphedema therapists in underserved areas, LE&RN awarded ten scholarships to therapists preparing for certification in an accredited training school.
5. Education. LE&RN has hosted ten Livestream symposia this year. This free program (thanks to your support) brings the foremost experts in lymphatics to the medical community, patients, and caregivers online.
4. Answers. “Ask the Experts” is an online forum you support that allows anyone to ask questions of our panel of experts.
3. National Spokesperson Kathy Bates. Kathy Bates has been a tireless advocate for the lymphedema and lymphatic disease community over the past year and has brought new light to these diseases. Now is the time to make the most of this attention.
2. Information. LE&RN is committed to bringing the millions of people who suffer from lymphedema and lymphatic disease together. Our website, social media channels, and e-newsletter ensure that everyone in our community is informed about issues affecting our community, the latest research, and ways to get involved.
1. Research. LE&RN's roots are in research and we remain proud of our efforts and progress in this area. We believe that the answers we seek are just waiting to be uncovered. LE&RN has two research fellowships in progress, will award up to 3 more before year-end, and has sent out applications for up to two more next year. One of LE&RN's funded research projects at the Weizmann Institute announced the monumental breakthrough of growing lymphatic cells in the lab for the first time.
Make your year-end donation to LE&RN today. We need your support to ensure that this important work continues.