There are so many reasons to love LE&RN and to support LE&RN's mission at year-end.
10. Advocacy. LE&RN’s National Lobby Days brings advocates from around the country to Washington, DC where lawmakers are asked to support increased National Institutes of Health (NIH) lymphatic research funding and insurance coverage for available treatments.
9. Building Community. LE&RN Chapters now reach across the United States and around the world, bringing the international lymphatic and lymphedema community together as one. Chapters sponsor events such as LE&RN’s Walks, educational symposiums, and patient support groups – bring the community together and making us stronger.
8. Setting Professional Standards. LE&RN’s Lymphatic Disease Diagnosis and Treatment Centers of Excellence standards, as well as our Continuing Medical Education (CME) Seminars are raising the bar in assuring patients optimal, comprehensive care.
7. Inspiration for the next generation: Researcher Scholarships. To entice the best and brightest researchers into joining our field, LE&RN sponsors up to 25 travel and poster scholarships each year to the most promising young investigators worldwide.
6. Expanding Access to Care: Addressing the lack of certified lymphedema therapists (CLTs) in underserved areas, LE&RN awards ten or more scholarships each year to therapists who enroll in an accredited CLT school.
5. Legislative Action. LE&RN created World Lymphedema Day in 2016, which was officially established by the United States Senate that same year. In 2018, New York State passed a first-in-nation bill written by LE&RN that mandates all hospital institutions in the state to provide lymphedema (LE) information packets to all patients at-risk for the disease. LE&RN Chapters will now take this bill to statehouses across the country.
4. Cutting Edge Answers. LE&RN hosts monthly Livestream symposia bringing the foremost experts in lymphatics to the medical community, patients, and caregivers online. And through our partnership with Harvard Medical Schools, LE&RN’s website is host to the presentations delivered at the annual Lymphedema Symposium. For specific questions, LE&RN”s “Ask the Experts” provides a direct link to a panel of international experts.
3. Spreading the Word. As LE&RN’s Spokesperson since 2015, Academy Award-Winning actress Kathy Bates has been a tireless advocate for the lymphedema and lymphatic disease community. From national televised broadcasts, to meeting with politicians and officials at NIH, CDC, AMA, her partnership with LE&RN has exponentially advanced awareness of lymphatic diseases worldwide.
2. Creating a Movement. LE&RN is committed to bringing the millions of people who suffer from lymphedema LE) and lymphatic disease (LD) together in a collective fight to make our fights a global priority. LE&RN’s website, social media channels, and e-newsletter ensure that everyone in our community is informed about the issues as well as how they can be an activist in this movement.
1. Research for New Treatments and a Cure. LE&RN knows new treatments and cures are waiting to be discovered with research. We remain steadfastly committed to funding research fellowships and we actively promote LD/LE research being a top priority at the National Institutes of Health (NIH), the Department of Defense (DoD) and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).